The Co-Founders of Birth Ways International
Angie Evans and Karen Herriot love training new doulas and experienced birth professionals through Birth Ways International. After years of training doulas, Angie and Karen are happy to respond to the huge need to offer a comprehensive training and certification program that meets the needs of Canadian birth professionals, while also serving international doulas.
They teach workshops for birth doulas, postpartum doulas, advanced doula training, placenta encapsulation and childbirth education.
Angie completed her Honors Bachelor of Science Degree (Pre-med) in 1995, a three-year Master Herbalist program in 2003, and three years of Midwifery studies at Midwives College of Utah. She has worked professionally in the field of holistic health since 2000 and as a birth doula since 2002. Her services include birth support, prenatal consultations, and education for parents-to-be and birth professionals (new and experienced). Angie co-teaches the popular Easing Labour Pain Prep workshop and the Birth Essentials series of prenatal classes, and created Childbirth Prep for Men, a one evening session just for dads-to-be. Other classes include Postpartum Survival, Healthy Babies Naturally, Holistic First Aid for Home & Travel, and Fertility Awareness Method.
With such a strong background in science, Angie is an avid researcher and writer. Her article Neonatal Resuscitation with Intact Umbilical Cord was published in Midwifery Today (2012) and received positive feedback from around the world.
Degrees, Certifications and Professional Associations
- BScH – Honors Bachelor of Science, Premed; Queen’s University
- MH – Master Herbalist; Wild Rose College of Natural Healing (Thesis: Prenatal Health & Nutrition)
- Certified Birth Doula
- Certified Prenatal Educator
- Certified Doula Trainer (Birth and Postpartum Doulas)
- Co-Founder, Birth Ways International (training for birth professionals)
- OSHA Certified Placenta Encapsulator and Trainer
- RNPA – Registered Nutritional Products Advisor; Alive Academy
- Certified Aromatherapist
- Co-Founder, Bow Valley Doula Collective
- Past-President (5 terms) of Doulas of Regina, the local professional doula association
- Member, Regina General Hospital Perinatal Services Committee
- Regina Chapter Leader, ICAN.org (International Caesarean Awareness Network)
Karen is passionate about supporting women in their journey through pregnancy, labour, birth, breastfeeding and motherhood as a doula and birth advocate.
She has been doing birth work since 1989, attended over 250 home and hospital births and am proud mom to four kids and partner to Trevor Herriot (writer and activist).
In her years as a doula Karen has seen hundreds of births and observed that with the amazing mystery and wonder of birth, the key to women's satisfaction in their experience lies in very basic things.
As a doula, she promises to honour these truths: that birth is a sacred, wonderful process, that the woman deserves to be central to the experience, heard and honored in her strength and vulnerability, and that all those present at the birth must be there to serve and support her, holding the sacred space for whatever she is experiencing.
Karen has studied under Penny Simpkin, Cathy Ellis (midwife) and other birth work elders, and feels privileged to work in a shared-care practice with doula partner, Angie Evans.
In their practice Karen and Angie are honoured to work with couples prenatally to support their process of active preparation for birth as they bring to light their wishes and worries, process them, and pack their physical and psychological birth bags.
They attend their births, offer support as needed, assist with breastfeeding and support the fourth trimester babymoon transition.
Degrees & Certifications
- BA - Honors Bachelor of Arts
- CYT(Certified Yoga Teacher)
- CBE (Certified Childbirth Educator)
- La Leche League Breastfeeding Advocate
- Certified Doula
- Doula Trainer