Thank you for registering for the next BWI Postpartum Doula Training.
Please read through these instructions carefully to ensure you are ready for the workshop. Thank-you!
We offer a pre-workshop Zoom video-call in the week before the class.
It will happen on November 24th, 2020 at 8 pm. Please register here.
This is an opportunity to get to know each other and ask any questions you have about the training. You can ask us questions, get a sneak-peak and learn more about the workshop logistics.
Before the workshop:
- Read Penny Simkin's Just Another Day: Women’s Long Term Perceptions of Their First Birth Experience. If reading research articles isn’t your thing, then just read the Abstract & Intro (all of pg1) and Discussion (bottom of pg 7).
- Please read Brenda Ueland's wise words on the Fine Art of Listening, a very important doula skill.
- Hospital Tour: Even though Postpartum Doulas work mainly in clients' homes, we recommend you become familiar with the hospital in which you may be working. Please feel free to register for an online tour and use the code "BWITraining" as this is included in your training fees. (Do not pay for the tour!) The tour takes one hour.
- Get a basic understanding of Reflective Listening, which will be our communication model for the weekend. Please check out one or both:
- Find a web-site or two you trust for accurate pregnancy-related pregnancy and birth information.
- If you'd like to get a head start on learning about postpartum and doulas, consider reading a book or watching a video from our Suggested PDT Reading List.
- Consider getting started on your Resource-Referral List. The Resource-Referral List is for you and your clients. We'll work on this through the workshop.
- If you'd like to dive in ahead of time to get a head start and deepen your knowledge, there's an optional BWI Postpartum Doula Pre-Workshop Guide available in 2 formats. It's a series of questions for you to become familiar with such things as terms, obstetrical practises, tools and resources. There's no need to "hand it in" but if you'd like feedback, we're willing to accept it as one file in either .pdf or Word.
- All new families at Regina General Hospital receive a copy of the RQHR Caring for Yourself and Newborn. This document is good to have no matter where you'll be working. We recommend you print a copy for yourself.
Note: Other SK regions don't seem to have have online booklets. We recommend you ask for a hard-copy of materials being given to new families at your local hospital or public health office.
- Save and/or print out the LaLecheLeague Breastfeeding Sheets, a most valuable resource for postpartum doulas.
Cancellations made 14 days or more in advance of the training have the option of a refund less a $75 administrative fee, or a credit for the full amount to be used within 1 year. Any cancellations received less than 14 days before the class will not be re-funded; however an alternate may attend or you may choose a future training within 1 year.
If you wish to pursue certification through Birth Ways International, this course is the first step. (Certification is not a requirement to practise as a postpartum doula but is a valuable process, with a one-time fee.) General certification requirements.