Thank-you for registering for the next BWI Birth Doula Training.
Please read through these instructions carefully to ensure you are ready for the workshop. Thank-you!
We offer two pre-workshop Zoom video-calls in the weeks before the class so you can ask us questions, get a sneak-peak and learn more about the workshop logistics.
Feel free to register for one or both.
May 27 at 8:30pm.
June 8th at 8pm.
This is an opportunity to ask any questions you have about the training and/or our weekend.
The documents below open in Adobe Reader . To download the document to your computer, click the down-arrow, just above the top & right of the document. Then you can save it.
Before the workshop, please read:
- Print, skim or read, and bring to the workshop: Comfort in Labor: How you can help yourself to a normal satisfying birth by Penny Simkin.
- Read Penny Simkin's Just Another Day: Women’s Long Term Perceptions of Their First Birth Experience. NOTE: If reading research articles isn’t your thing, then just read the Abstract & Intro (all of pg1) and Discussion (bottom of pg 7).
- Please read Brenda Ueland's wise words on the Fine Art of Listening, a very important doula skill.
- Get a basic understanding of Reflective Listening, which will be our communication model for the weekend. Please check out one or both:
Before the workshop, please do:
- Complete an Ideal Birth form - your version of the kind of birth you'd love to have.
- Please make brief notes for the intro rounds. Be prepared with your answers written down so we can fully listen to each other’s responses. We’ll be asking:
- Name, who do you care for (kids, pets, elderly parents etc)
- Why do you want to be a doula? (1 sentence or just a few words)
You will get more from the training if you've done a hospital tour, preferably of the one in which you’ll be working.
- We'll be offering an excellent, live and "hands-on" hospital tour for doulas in Regina the week before the workshop. (No charge for BWI participants and doulas.)
- For other dates to tour Regina General Hospital, please contact the YMCA at 306-757-9622 to join a free tour, offered Mon & Wed evenings at 6:30 and 7:30pm.
- Saskatoon Royal University Hospital does not offer live tours but you can watch a video tour online and check out other relevant info on the Saskatoon Maternal Services page . Virtual tour is 25 minutes and is well worth your time.
- If you live elsewhere, please contact the hospital where your clients will give birth, if there is one, to arrange a tour. If not then please do the virtual RUH tour, listed above.
- If you'd like to get a head start on learning about birth and doulas, consider reading a book or watching a video from our Suggested Reading List.
- Consider getting started on your Resource-Referral List. The Resource-Referral List is for you and your clients. We'll work on this through the workshop.
- If you'd like to dive in ahead of time to get a head start and deepen your knowledge, there's an optional BWI Birth Doula Pre-Workshop Guide available in 2 formats. It's a series of questions for you to become familiar with such things as terms, obstetrical practises, tools and resources. There's no need to "hand it in" but if you'd like feedback, we're willing to accept it as one file in either .pdf or Word.
- Find a web-site or two you trust for accurate pregnancy-related pregnancy and birth information.
- All new families at Regina General Hospital receive a copy of the RQHR Caring for Yourself and Newborn. This document is good to have no matter where you'll be working. We recommend you print a copy for yourself.
Note: Other SK regions don't seem to have have online booklets. We recommend you ask for a hard-copy of materials being given to new families at your local hospital or public health office.
- Save and/or print out the LaLecheLeague Breastfeeding Sheets, a most valuable resource for doulas.
Location & Parking:
June 12-14, 2020 Saskatoon:
#212 - 2543 Dudley Street
Saskatoon, SK S7M 5V3
Use the door labelled “Dudley Common” and buzz Office 212 to be let in.
(It's the building next to Kelvins Wheel. Other signs on the front of our building include Keystone Paving & Remnant Steel.)
There's ample street parking.
Cancellations made 14 days or more in advance of the training have the option of a refund less a $75 administrative fee, or a credit for the full amount to be used within 1 year. Any cancellations received less than 14 days before the class will not be re-funded; however an alternate may attend or you may choose a future training within 1 year.