Deepen Your Knowledge with Postpartum Doula Certification
Birth Ways International Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements
The first step in certification is to order the certification pack. The $175 fee covers the package, feedback, processing all documents, and your official BWI Postpartum Doula Certification once all the steps are complete. There is no annual membership fee and no requirement to re-certify as long as you are an active doula or participating in continuing education (details with certification pack).
You have two years to complete this process, which begins with a 16 hour BWI Doula Training course.
Unique to BWI: We provide individualized support for you through this process!
- Your instructor will provide individual feedback as your requirements are submitted; she will answer questions and you can debrief with her while the clients are still fresh in your mind.
- We offer monthly "Live Q & A" video conferencing calls. Numbers are kept low to allow participants to ask their questions.
- Minimum 16 hour Birth Ways International Postpartum Doula Training workshop.
- Minimum 4 hours breastfeeding seminar provided by an IBCLC or professional breastfeeding counsellor, in person or online.
- Attend a minimum of 6 peer-supported breastfeeding meetings (e.g. LLL meeting, mothering circle)
- Attend a minimum of 3 postpartum clients after postpartum doula training. One must be a after a caesarean birth. Submit for each:
1. Client feedback
2. Doula report
- Read and submit a book report for a book from each of the nine categories on the Birth Ways Interntional Postpartum Doula Reading List. (Other birthing books or educational videos may be considered; please ask your trainer.)
- Current adult / infant CPR certification.
- Food safety course from a nationally approved program.
- Attend a Processing the Birth Story class, in person or online.
- Create a list of postpartum resources local to your area.
- Submit your Client Postpartum Prep Checklist.
- Read, understand and sign: Scope of Practise, Code of Ethics, and Social Media Policy.
- Demonstrate insight and an understanding of scope, ethics, integrity. Describe what you would do in various circumstances (scenarios are provided).
There are modifications or equivalents available e.g. for rural doulas, in case some of these requirements aren't available locally. Please ask your BWI instructor for details.
Requirements and fees are subject to change. This is a non-refundable program. Extensions are available by request.
Info about Birth Doula Certification .