Postpartum Doula Training
Postpartum Doula Training
Postpartum doulas assist new families through the adjustments of new parenthood with compassionate presence, basic breastfeeding support and care of the woman and newborn using a variety of hands-on practical skills and information.
Begin or expand your postpartum doula business by attending this Birth Ways International Postpartum Doula training.
This interactive 16-hr course prepares you to become a postpartum doula and help a woman through her transitions in the fourth trimester after her birth. You’ll leave with educational resources, research based data, powerful stories and practical tips.
Some participants are mothers and others are not. Some have been to births before but many haven’t. We have young women, wise elders, and everything in between – it’s never too early or too late to embark upon this path. Rural and urban women attend. Some participants have no background knowledge or experience while others are healthcare professionals.
If you wish to pursue certification through Birth Ways International, this course is the first step. While certification is not required to work as a postpartum doula, it is a valuable process. Postpartum Doula Certification requirements
You Will Learn:
- Practising with integrity
- Scope of practice and when/where to refer out
- Creating your menu of services
- Key doula standards, Code of Conduct and professional ethics
- Working effectively with medical care providers and others
- Postpartum support tools, practical skills, comfort measures / coping methods
- Self-awareness, your ideal client, your boundaries and biases
- Basic anatomy and physiology specific to postpartum
- Prenatal and postpartum client visits
- Postpartum recovery & care of mother
- Care and feeding of newborns
- How birth interventions / trauma affect postpartum care and recovery
- Warning signs for mother and baby
- Ideas for sibling and extended family
- Working with diverse clients/families/populations
- Common concerns for new parents/informed decision making
- Effective communication – listening skills, impact of language
- Honouring individual birth process - memory of birth, narrative
- Business start-up, payment options/range for postpartum doulas
Prerequisites to training:
Details about each step will be sent upon registration.
1. Complete the Pre-Workshop Guide.
2. Do a book report on one book about postpartum / issues from our reading list.
Next Postpartum Doula Training:
Oct 18-20, 2019 in Regina, SK. 7-9pm Fri night, 9:00-5:30pm Sat & Sun.
Fees* for Sep 2018 Postpartum Doula Training: $550. (Early bird rate of $495. available until 3 weeks before class; details upon registration.)
Special offer: a $200 deposit holds your spot, gets you the preworkshop material immediately, and gets you started.
* There are no hidden fees such as membership, mandatory conferences, admin fees, redoing of classes etc. You can start taking clients after the weekend training.
Every workshop I take from Angie and Karen I end up with a sense of wellbeing. I enjoyed the openness and knowledge they bring to the training; I especially liked the idea that there is so much more to being a Postpartum doula that just holding a baby and cleaning – that holding the space might be worth more than having a shower!
It was a lovely training! Thank you so much for furthering my knowledge on how to better serve women, especially a demographic that is in need of this type of service. I appreciated hearing about their personal experiences and all the tips and tricks that you wouldn’t read in a book. Katie, Ottawa ON
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations made 14 days or more in advance of the training have the option of a refund less a $75 administrative fee, or a credit for the full amount to be used within 1 year. Any cancellations received less than 14 days before the class will not be re-funded; however an alternate may attend or you may choose a future training within 1 year.