Birth Ways International Certification Programs
Become a Certified Doula with Birth Ways International
The first step in certification is to order the certification pack. The $150 fee covers the package, feedback, processing all documents, and your official BWI Birth Doula Certification once all the steps are complete. There is no annual membership fee and no requirement to re-certify as long as you are an active doula or participating in continuing education (details with certification pack).
You have two years from the date of your BWI Birth Doula Training workshop to complete this process.
- Minimum 16 hour BWI Birth Doula Training workshop (including prerequisites).
- Tour of hospital, preferably where you’ll be working.
- Minimum 4 hours breastfeeding seminar provided by an IBCLC or professional breastfeeding counsellor. We provide in-person and online options.
- Attend a minimum of 2 peer-supported breastfeeding meetings (e.g. La Leche League meeting).
- Attend a minimum of 3 births after doula training (one may be a caesarean birth). Submit for each:
1. Client feedback
2. Doula report
3. Feedback form from an experienced birth professional (senior doula, nurse, midwife, or physician)
- Unique to BWI: Your instructor will provide individual feedback as these are submitted; she will answer questions and you can debrief with her while the clients are still fresh in your mind.
- Attend a child-birth education series, minimum 10 hours, from a professional childbirth educator as a doula-observer.
- Read and submit book report from five books on the Birth Ways International Birth Doula Reading List.
- Create a list of local pregnancy, birth and postpartum resources.
- Read, understand and sign: Scope of Practise, Code of Ethics, and Social Media Policy.
- Demonstrate insight and an understanding of scope, ethics, and integrity.
- Describe what you would do in various circumstances (scenarios are provided).
*There are modifications or equivalents available for rural doulas, in case some of these requirements aren’t available locally. Please ask your BWI instructor for details.
A comparison of various certifying organizations is available upon request.
Requirements and fees are subject to change. This is a non-refundable program. Extensions are available by request.
Information on Post Partum Doula Certification