Join us for a Birth Ways International Birth Doula Training Workshop!
At the end of this weekend, your view of birth, women, birth practices, and where the power resides will be transformed!
A birth doula provides physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and partner during pregnancy, birth and early post-partum.
Begin or expand your birth business by attending this Birth Ways International Birth Doula Training.
This interactive 16-hour course prepares you to become a birth doula and help a woman through labour, whether you want to support a friend through her birth or make a career choice. You’ll leave with educational resources and hands-on practice.
- Practicing with integrity
- Role and responsibilities of a doula, scope of practice
- Key doula standards and professional ethics
- Working effectively with medical care providers and others that attend the birth
- Labour support tools, practical skills, comfort measures / coping methods
- Common interventions and informed decision-making
- Caesarean births and VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean)
- Alternative / complimentary support methods
- Self-awareness, including your motivation for doula work, your ideal client, your boundaries
- Basic anatomy and physiology specific to labour and birth
- Prenatal and postpartum client visits
- Working with diverse clients/families/populations
- Sensitivity and tools for working with client diversity
- Coping & support of unexpected events
- Basic breastfeeding initiation
- Effective communication – listening skills, impact of language
- Honouring individual birth process - memory of birth, narrative
- Start-up and sustaining your practise (birth work business)
Some participants have been to births before but most haven’t. Some are mothers and others are not. We have young women, wise elders, and everything in between – it’s never too early or too late to embark upon this path. Rural and urban women attend. Some participants have no background knowledge or experience while others are healthcare professionals.
If you wish to pursue certification through Birth Ways International, this course is the first step: Certification requirements . (Certification is not a requirement to practise as a doula but is a valuable process.)
Prerequisites to training:
Details about each step will be sent upon registration.
1. Complete the Pre-Workshop Guide (material to ensure all participants share base knowledge).
2. Do a book report on one birth book of your choice from our Reading List
Next Birth Doula Training(s):
June 8 - 10, 2018, in Saskatoon, SK. 7-9pm Fri night, 9:00-5:00pm Sat & Sun.
Fees for June 8 - 10, 2018 Birth Doula Training: $550.
October 26-28, 2018, in Regina SK. 7-9pm Fri night, 9:00-5:00pm Sat & Sun.
Fees for October, 2018 Birth Doula Training: $550. (Early-bird rate of $495 before midnight on Fri Oct 5th, 2018.
Special offer: a $200 deposit holds your spot, gets you the preworkshop material immediately.
* There are no hidden fees such as membership, mandatory conferences, admin fees, redoing of classes etc. You can start taking clients after the weekend training.
As an RN, I would rate my personal experience in this workshop as a 10 out of 10. I appreciated the balance of research based information and heart-felt wisdom. I am very grateful for the opportunity to be taught this course by you!!D. L.
There is nothing I would change about this training; I loved everything about this weekend and will be back for more! I feel ready to start my work as a doula!S. B.
I attended your spring 2013 Birth Doula workshop. I loved hearing about your years of experience, knowledge and wisdom on women giving birth. Both teachers are filled with a passion for birthing and delivered information with such enthusiasm and straight from the heart. The atmosphere & energy at the workshop is uplifting, positive, FUN and full of encouragement!T. F.
I want to thank you again for the advanced level of training this weekend. It was unbelievable, intense and really educational.K.V., Calgary, AB
Thanks you so much again for the wonderful weekend. I am very happy that I decided to take part in the Doula course and found it to be such an enlightening, passionate and great experience! I really enjoyed it and look forward to working in the area and learning lots and lots more! Thanks again for everything.C. W.